Create a Personalized Plate
As a healthcare provider you may be aware that March is National Nutrition Month. This year’s focus is all about tailoring a healthy eating plan to every individual. There are a lot of ways to personalize nutrition.
Do you believe that you would benefit from looking at what you’re putting on your plate? Are you borderline diabetic? Do you have high blood pressure? High cholesterol? If you answered yes or maybe, to any of these, then it is probably worth taking a look at what you’re putting in your body. Now consider your loved ones and your patients, could they benefit from this too?
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (the folks that started National Nutrition Month) have put together a four-step plan to help you take the first step towards a healthier lifestyle.
Step One: Assess
• Do you eat a variety of healthy foods from all food groups?
• Do you drink enough water?
• Do you know how to read nutrition labels?
• Do you eat in a quiet place or with a lot of distraction?
• Do you eat slowly and enjoy your food or eat it fast?
Step Two: Plan Ahead
• Choose healthy recipes to make during the week
• Create a grocery list full of nutritious foods
• When dining out or getting takeout, look for the healthy options
• Start your day with a healthy breakfast
• Stock up on healthy snacks
Step Three: Learn Skills
• Keep healthy ingredients on hand
• Practice home food safety
• Eat meals with people you live with, or virtually
• Try not to waste food
• Try new spices, flavors and foods
Step Four: Consult an Expert
If you, or a patient, are unsure of how to tackle things like reading a nutrition label or buying healthy ingredients, we can help! Our highly trained lifestyle coaches can provide support and gradual steps to help you reach a healthier lifestyle and prevent type 2 diabetes.
This program includes both telehealth and digital care services, including video and online programming. To learn more about this program and how it could help you or one of your patients, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.