Creating a S.M.A.R.T. New Year’s resolution during the COVID-19 pandemic
Did you know that more than half of New Year’s resolutions in the U.S. are health related? Sadly, over 92% of them are not achieved. Experts believe it is because they are not made correctly. This month, we want to share with you a S.M.A.R.T. way to create your New Year’s resolution.
The COVID-19 pandemic has harmed our communities. In fact, people who have diabetes or are overweight are more likely to be hospitalized or even die because of problems from COVID-19. For some people, the pandemic makes it hard to follow a healthy lifestyle. Luckily, the National Diabetes Prevention Program run by SinfoníaRx can help reduce your risk of diabetes and obesity. Learn more about the program today.
Keep on track with your health goals
- We welcome you to start thinking about your health-related New Year’s resolution. S.M.A.R.T goals are specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and timely.
· A specific goal describes the activity and amount. One example is to meditate for 5 minutes each morning. Another example can be to eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables daily.
· A measurable goal helps keep track of how you are doing (e.g., minutes, hours, percent, days). Examples include walking for 30 minutes per day or drinking 12 cups of water daily.
· An attainable goal is within your reach. You may not be able to walk up and down the stairs for 15 minutes three times per week if you have joint pain. But, you can eat more plant-based meals per week.
· A relevant goal matters to you. For example, if your goal is to lower anxiety, you may want to try 10 minutes of mindfulness per day instead of 10 minutes of jogging.
· A timely goal has a start date and end date. Adjust your goal if it is not met in the set time frame.
With one healthy change at a time, you can reduce your chronic disease risk by 90%. This program is free to join. It offers trained lifestyle coaches to help you reach your 2021 health goals. What are you waiting for? Enroll today!
You can also contact us at 1-844-326-3043 between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m., MST, Monday through Friday or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Diabetes Prevention Program is offered by Tabula Rasa HealthCare and the American Pharmacists Association Foundation and is funded by the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention.
*Please do not send personal health information to email@example.com. We take your confidentiality seriously.
Vas P, Hopkins D, Feher M, Rubino F, B Whyte M. Diabetes, obesity and COVID-19: A complex interplay. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2020 Oct;22(10):1892-1896. doi: 10.1111/dom.14134. Epub 2020 Jul 28. PMID: 32627299; PMCID: PMC7362013.
White ND, Bautista V, Lenz T, Cosimano A. Using the SMART-EST goals in lifestyle medicine prescription. Am J Lifestyle Med. 2020 Feb 17;14(3):271-273. doi: 10.1177/1559827620905775. PMID: 32477026; PMCID: PMC7232896.